This course has been designed with the semi-experienced horse owner in mind but is also very helpful for those considering getting involved with horses for the first time. This course is also useful for anyone working with horses or within the animal care industry in general.
- Preparing to own a horse – where will it live, do you have the time to travel to it at least twice a day?
- The right horse for you – mare, gelding, stallion, how old is it? Your own age and experience are also important here
- Vaccination and disease prevention
- Foot care, the farrier, to shoe or not
- Rugs, rollers, bandages and boots
- Grooming – the kit you will need
- Feeding your horse
- Choosing the right tack and keeping it clean
- Keeping the stable environment clean
- Field management
- Internal parasites – setting up a worming programme
- External parasites and sweet itch
- Poisonous plants
- The mare in season
- First aid for horses and putting a kit together
- The older horse – not just putting it out to grass
Study Level 2
The study Level relates to the how demanding the course is. 1 is beginner and 5 is HND / Foundation Degree level.
2 Module Course
This course is delivered in 2 study modules which need to be passed to gain the qualification.
Fees: Including VAT
Course fee – R4800 (includes registration and 2 modules)
Pay as you learn option – R1750 registration (once off) and R1900 per module.